Friday, February 25, 2022

Who wants a cars podcast that's not about classics?

 It's been almost ten years to the day (10 years and 5 days, to be precise) since I've posted here.  The reason I started this blog was simple, really:  I'm a car enthusiast, but not in the sense of loving the classics.  I love modern cars - shopping for them, comparing specs, and finding out more about new technology being employed inside the vehicle.  My experience as a driver goes back to 1996, and I always loved the idea of newer cars, not older cars.  That might be heresy to some, but where some car enthusiasts are interested in post-war vehicles taking us through the 60s, my passion is more vehicles from about 2000-present.  

There's a good reason for my focus on more modern vehicles:  around 2006 I decided to take my first plunge into German vehicle ownership, and once I did, I became obsessed with the modern luxury vehicles of the day that I could afford, starting with my tragically totaled 2000 E430, purchased in June 2006 with 77K miles.

My interest in newer cars is focused not only on drivability and what has changed as certain models of luxury and near-luxury vehicles evolve, but also the technology behind them.  This spans from lighting (in ten years, suddenly we're now all buying cars with LEDs - awesome change!) or engines (in ten years, suddenly we're now settling for 2-liter 4-cylinder turbos as the standard option in even an E-class - a not so awesome change, in my opinion).  

In the ten years since I've posted, however, there's also been a seismic shift away from blogging entirely.  Who wants to read words on a screen when one can throw on bluetooth-paired headphones and listen to Rogan or some other podcast?  And so, I am wondering if it makes sense, since this is still such a passion of mine years later, to buy a microphone and some editing software, and start posting a podcast instead of posting here. 

I have three children, and last year we traded our 2009 Honda Odyssey minivan (purchased spring 2011 with only 13K miles) for a brand new 2021 Toyota Sienna XLE.  We had a third child three years ago (actually, as of the last published post in this blog, we hadn't yet had our second child), and my wife really loves the space and practicality of a bigger car with sliding doors, so we re-upped on suburban minivan life for likely another ten years.  The reason I say all this, is to highlight that were I to publish a podcast, it's likely not something I could handle doing weekly with kids, job, and other demands.

If anyone is out there still reading this, I'm wondering how you feel about a podcast dealing with cars - but not race cars (though maybe we'll touch on Formula 1), and not classics (I know nothing about classic cars).  The podcast would deal more with modern cars, SUVs, electric vehicles, and yes, even minivans.  

What is attracting buyers these days?  What trends, positive and negative, do we see in the market?  What cool features, that used to be the stuff of science fiction, are now coming to fruition?  If one thing is for sure, a podcast like this would be just as much a technology podcast - automotive technology development inside and outside the vehicle hasn't slowed down.

Comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lively debate is encouraged, but please don't be a typical internet egomaniac or your comments will be deleted.